Monday 26 October 2015

Dance Food I - Healthy Happy Chips!

Every time I attend a talk given by a dancer, choreographer or artistic director I try to find out what he or she likes to eat. The reason for my interest is that dancers do a lot of jumping, turning and lifts. They have to get their energy from somewhere so they must eat. But they also have to think about their bodies so they have to be careful.

I cook but I also like to dance. I enjoy watching dance but I want my dancers to eat. To encourage them I shall try to contribute an occasional article on food for dancers. I am starting with chips. Happy healthy chips. I think Xander and Demelza Parish, Brandon Lawrence, Thomas WhiteheadDominic North and David Bintley and Abigail Prudames who also come from God's own county might appreciate these.


Last night I fancied some chips but not from the fish and chip shop (or "chippy" as we call it in Yorkshire). So I made my healthy, happy chips at home. Here is my recipe that I'd like to share with you.

These chips are made from 1llb (500g) of potatoes and just 2 teaspoons of oil. 

For my recipe you need to peel the skins off or give them a good scrub as I have done. I like mine fairly chunky but I will leave that up to you. I would recommend a floury potatoes that enables a softer centre and and a crispier skin. Varieties I suggest are Maris Piper and King Edward varieties. 

So, you will need:

Ingredients
  • 500g gm of potatoes  or sweet potatoes which give an even slower release of energy
  • 10 ml of vegetable oil
  • Salt and vinegar to taste or  spices if you prefer.
Method:


  1. Heat the oven and the baking tray to at 200C 
  2. Prepare the potatoes into chips or wedges
  3. Place them in a bowl and pour over the oil, using your hand to coat them evenly and then sprinkle over a little salt.
  4. Place them on the hot baking tray and spread them out evenly. 
  5. Cook for  for 25 mins. 
  6. Open the oven once half way through cooking  and give them a turn. 
  7. As soon as they are golden and crispy on the outside and soft in the middle they are ready. 


You can eat  them as they are but, if you want that chip shop style  feeling, wrap the chips in cat paper or grease proof paper and place them back in the oven for 5 mins (switched off) . Sprinkle some more salt and vinegar. 

Alternatively try this spice combination to jazz up those spuds and have them with spicy mayo for which you will need a large dollop of good low fat mayonnaise. Mix in a pinch of smoked paprika, salt and pepper, crushed roasted cumin and coriander seeds and small pinch of nutmeg and glove and touch of cardamom.

Enjoy!

PS. Did you know: Did you know that potatoes contain a little of most of the macro and micro nutrients.

No comments:

Post a Comment